Child Arrangement Orders banner

Family Law Services

Home / Family Law Services / Child Law / Child Arrangement Orders

Child Arrangement Order Solicitor

Going through a divorce or separation can be difficult. In particular, it can be really challenging where children are involved and decisions need to be made about where they will live and what contact they will have with each parent.

During this time, it’s paramount to seek legal advice from a child law solicitor. Such assistance would ensure every issue is properly considered and the effect of any decisions is fully considered. This is vital to protect your children’s best interests and your relationship with them.

When you choose to work with us, you will be instructing an experienced family law solicitor, Donna Goodsell. She possesses over two decades of expertise providing advice and support to clients in Clapham and across London on various family law matters, including child arrangement orders.

Read more about Donna Goodsell’s family law expertise.

If you need assistance with child law matters following a divorce or separation, our lawyer at Goodsells Family Law will take the time to carefully understand your situation and your desired outcome. From this, we can provide advice tailored specifically to you, so please contact us to find out how we can help.

For an initial consultation with our family law solicitor in Clapham, London, please call 020 7622 2221, email or complete our online enquiry form to request a call back.

Specialist child arrangement orders advice for clients across Clapham, London

No matter your personal situation, our solicitor in Clapham will strive to provide a comforting and supportive service that aligns with your needs.

We can provide proficient support on matters including:

Donna has years of experience helping clients navigate through challenging circumstances. She has a broad scope of knowledge in the child law field and has worked with clients in all circumstances and varied backgrounds. So no matter your personal situation, you can be confident that you are receiving a friendly, expert and proficient service aligned to protect your interests.

If you and your partner are going through a divorce or separation and have children together but disagree on where your child will primarily live and contact arrangements, it’s important that you seek legal advice.

Our child arrangement solicitor has decades of knowledge and practice assisting a wide range of clients with all sorts of backgrounds and needs. No matter your requirements, we can provide the necessary advice and support.

ADR methods for child arrangements

There are methods to resolve disagreements concerning children without needing to go to court. These include negotiation, family mediation, and collaborative law.

Prior to family mediation, the parties will need to attend a Mediation Information Assessment Meeting (MIAM) to determine whether family mediation is an appropriate approach to finding a living arrangement outcome for your child.

If it is determined that family mediation is suitable, we can provide support, such as how to prepare and guide you through the mediation process.

Donna is a collaboratively trained solicitor in addition to being a Resolution Accredited Specialist in Children Law. This provides confidence in her ability to provide a high-quality, bespoke service to clients across Clapham and the areas beyond.

Applying for child arrangement orders

Should you and your ex-partner struggle to agree on your child’s legal arrangements following a divorce or separation, it may be appropriate to apply to the court for a child arrangement order where the court will decide what is best for the child moving forward.

We can evaluate your situation and assist with drafting and filing an application to the court, or handle the application on your behalf. In addition, we can assist with applying to the court for prohibited steps and specific issue orders.

Court proceedings for child arrangement orders

Should court litigation be required for your child law circumstances, our solicitor has extensive expertise providing advice and guidance on the process. Including helping you create a robust argument supporting your views and needs, in addition to supporting evidence if required.

Appealing child arrangement orders

It might be the case that the court has made a child arrangement order decision concerning your child that you are unhappy with. In this instance, it is possible to appeal the decision.

If you wish to appeal the court’s decision, our solicitor can offer their advice, in addition to guiding you through the process, including assessing the court’s initial verdict and making an appeal application.

Excellent value for money

Legal advice should be available to everyone, and that’s why we strive to provide our family law legal fees at a competitive but fair price.

In certain situations, we can offer our fees on a fixed fee basis, particularly where matters are straightforward, such as making an application for a child arrangement order. Fixed fees provide complete certainty and transparency over the expected costs from the outset, allowing our clients to make a fully informed decision when choosing to work with our expert child law solicitor.

Before carrying out any work, we will always discuss costs with you first, ensuring you are completely happy to proceed.

Contact our child arrangement order solicitor in Clapham

No matter the type of  child arrangements assistance you need, we are here to help.

For an initial consultation with our child arrangement lawyer in Clapham, London, please call 020 7622 2221, email or fill in our online enquiry form to request a call back.

Child arrangements FAQs

Who can apply for child arrangements orders?

Any person who has parental responsibility for a child can apply to the courts for a child arrangement order, such as guardians, step parents, grandparents, or someone else. However, it is usually birth parents who apply for child arrangement orders during divorce and separation.

Those without parental responsibility may be able to apply for a Child Arrangements Order, but first must obtain the court’s permission to make the full application.

How long does a child arrangement order last?

When the court makes an order for child contact arrangements, it often stays in place until the child attains the age of 16. However, the order may state a different deadline.

What will the courts take into consideration?

When a court order for child arrangements is being decided upon, the court will take several factors into consideration to help make their decision. Typically, the factors the court may consider include:

  • The child’s personal wishes
  • The child’s emotional, physical, and educational needs
  • The parent’s ability to care and provide for the child, such as do they have the capacity to meet the child’s needs
  • Whether the child is in danger or has suffered neglect or abuse in the past

What is a prohibited steps order?

A prohibited steps order is put in place to prevent someone with parental responsibility from taking a certain action regarding the child in question.

A prohibited steps order could be used to prevent actions such as:

  • Changing the child’s surname
  • Removing the child from their school or nursery
  • Preventing the child from encountering specific individuals
  • Moving the child to a new home or area
  • Taking the child to a different country
  • Permitting the child to undergo certain medical treatment

What is a specific issue order?

A specific issue order is the opposite of a Prohibited Steps Order. This order can be put in place to permit an individual with parental responsibility to take certain actions regarding the child in question.

A specific issue order can be used to allow actions such as:

  • Changing the child’s surname
  • Allowing the child to receive a religious upbringing
  • Permitting the child to receive medical treatment
  • Declaring where the child will attend school or nursery
  • Taking the child abroad

Contact our child law solicitor

For an initial consultation with our children law solicitor in London, please call 020 7622 2221, email or complete our online enquiry form to request a call back.