We Are Here To Help

Always here for you

We can help you to achieve the best possible outcome, with the least amount of stress. Contact us today to find out more

We Are Here To Help

Always here for you

We can help you to achieve the best possible outcome, with the least amount of stress. Contact us today to find out more

Domestic Abuse Solicitors in London

We Support Victims of Domestic Abuse & Violence 

At Goodsells Family Law we have significant experience helping those who have suffered domestic abuse and we can help you, whatever your gender, race, or sexual orientation.

Let us help you navigate domestic abuse laws to get a positive outcome.

Contact us today for a free consultation.

Request a Call Back

Bespoke Service
Affordable Fees
Family Law Specialists
Highly Rated

Expert Domestic Abuse solicitors with years of experience in Family Law

Get Legal Protection From Domestic Abuse

We fully understand the distress and harm caused by domestic abuse, and the difficulties associated with seeking help. When you contact Goodsells, we will listen carefully and sensitively to your situation. This will enable us to advise you on the most appropriate course of action.

If we feel there is imminent risk to you or your family members we will help you make contact with the police and seek emergency legal protection via an emergency injunction application.

We can also help you and your children seek assistance from local centres that provide refuge, counselling and general assistance to families affected by domestic abuse.

What is a Domestic Abuse Injunction?

Domestic abuse, sometimes also known as domestic violence, covers a wide range of actions including:

  • Coercive controlling behaviour
  • Emotional abuse
  • Financial abuse
  • Gaslighting
  • Honour-based abuse
  • Physical abuse
  • Psychological abuse
  • Sexual abuse/harassment

Sadly, physical abuse is one of the most prevalent forms of domestic violence. However, emotional abuse and controlling behaviour are insidious forms of ill-treatment that can sometimes be more difficult for the outside world to see or understand. Yet, they are still forms of domestic abuse and the law provides protection from them.

Emergency situations

In an emergency or if you feel you or your children are at risk of immediate harm, you should call or text 999 and ask for the police. You can also use textphone on 0800 112 999.

In urgent situations, an application for an emergency injunction can be made to the court and can often be processed within 24 hours.

Domestic abuse injunctions

One of the main pieces of advice for anyone suffering domestic abuse is to report it to the police, but this can be difficult for a number of reasons.

By speaking to a Family Law solicitor experienced in domestic abuse, you can discuss your situation knowing that the information you are giving is confidential and you are not being judged in any way. A solicitor can give advice about how the law can protect you and the most appropriate course of action in your particular situation.

A solicitor for domestic abuse injunctions can help you apply to the court for an injunction to protect you from the abuser.

What is a domestic abuse injunction?

An injunction is a court order requiring someone (your abuser) to either do or not do something. Part 4 of the Family Law Act 1996 deals with family homes and domestic violence and allows for two types of injunction.

  • Mon-molestation orders
  • Occupation orders

Non-molestation order

A non-molestation order can protect you, your children and other family members from the abusive actions of another individual (for instance, your spouse or civil partner, the person you live with). The order may require the abuser not to use abusive, violent, harassing or threatening behaviour towards you and/or your children, and can require them not to contact you or by phone, text, email, or via social media platforms either at home or at work.

While a non-molestation order is not a guarantee that the abuse will stop, if the perpetrator defies the terms of the injunction they can be arrested and charged with a criminal offence.

Occupation order

If you share a home with the abuser, an occupation order can prohibit them from entering or coming near the home. You can apply for an occupation order whether you are a tenant or owner of the property, or even if the tenancy or ownership is in the abuser’s sole name.

A court will consider numerous issues before granting an occupation order, including the potential effect on you and your children, as well as on the abuser.

Court orders and child abduction

If your partner uses the threat of taking away your children to control or abuse you, you can apply to the court for a Prohibited Steps Order , providing you have parental responsibility .

Explore Our Services

Divorce & Dissolution


Financial Remedy


Child Law




Pre & Post Nuptial


Separation Agreements


Domestic Abuse


Why Goodsells

Top Reasons to Choose Us

Competitive Pricing

We offer a first class service at affordable prices aimed at professionals who want a tailored service.

+25 Years Experience

Your case will be dealt with exclusively by Donna Goodsell, it will never be delegated to a junior lawyer.

Bespoke to You

As a boutique law firm, your case will be our priority, helping you to maximise your outcomes with minimal stress.

No Fault Divorce FAQ’s

What is a no fault divorce?

On 6 April 2022, UK divorce law changed, introducing no fault divorce in England and Wales under the Divorce, Dissolution and Separation Act 2020. Simply put, no fault divorce means that neither party involved in the divorce needs to place blame or fault on the other person anymore (as was required under the previous law).

Why did UK divorce law change?

UK divorce law changed for a number of reasons, in particular concern to the previous divorce law being outdated and no longer reflecting the evolution of society. The previous law was contentious and caused considerable problems between the involved parties. The new law helps to reduce conflict, encouraging an amicable divorce that allows ex-spouses to remain civil.

Who can get a no fault divorce?

Either party in the marriage can apply for divorce so long as the couple have been married for at least a year. The parties involved can choose to make a sole application or joint application depending on personal preference.


What are the grounds for divorce?

There has always only been one ground for divorce, which is the irretrievable breakdown of your marriage. However, previously to prove this you needed to cite one of five accepted reasons or ‘facts’ in your divorce application. These reasons included potentially contentious issues such as adultery and unreasonable behaviour, often leading to unnecessary conflict.

With the change in law, these five facts now cease to be a requirement, with only a statement of irretrievable breakdown needed to obtain a divorce.

How long does no fault divorce take to finalise?

The change to the divorce law means that there is now a minimum amount of time for a divorce to be finalised. However, this minimum time frame does not guarantee that it is exactly how long the divorce will take, as there are many circumstances that will come into play, such as arrangements for any children and the divorce financial settlement.

At a minimum, divorce will take 26 weeks (6 months) from the start to finish. From when the divorce application is submitted until the Conditional Order (previously the Decree Nisi) is issued, there is a minimum wait of 20 weeks. Once this has been issued, the Final Order (which replaces the Decree Absolute) can be applied for, which takes a minimum of 6 weeks to be issued.

Can no fault divorce be contested?

Previously, a divorce petition could be contested, but since the change in law, this possible only in very exceptional circumstances.

What key changes have been made to the no fault divorce process?

While the step-by-step process of divorce has stayed relatively the same, there are several things which have changed since the introduction of the new no fault divorce law, including removing the need to place blame or fault.

Other important aspects that have changed include the key terms. For example:

Divorce petition is now referred to as divorce application
Petitioner is now referred to as applicant or joint applicant
Decree Nisi is now referred to as the Conditional Order
Decree Absolute is now referred to as the Final Order


Hear From Our Clients

Ms P


    I will always be grateful for the most professional care offered to me by Donna. As a Spanish speaking client Donna helped me through the years with great patience and human ethic as well as representing me legally with outmost excellence. I recommend her strongly without any hesitation.


Ms D


This solicitor came highly recommended and did not disappoint, she was always accessible and helpful at a very difficult time in my life. Her attention to detail was impeccable and I was happy with the outcome. Thank you .